Though New York has recently updated its marijuana laws, there are still penalties you may face for the possession, sale, trafficking, and cultivation of the drug. If you were recently charged with a marijuana-related offense, here are some of the questions you may have:
What are the consequences for the possession of marijuana in New York?
If you are caught possessing marijuana in New York State, here are some of the penalties you may face:
- 28 grams or less: A simple violation, with a maximum fine of $50
- Between 28 grams and 2 ounces: A violation with a maximum fine of $200
- More than 2-8 ounces: A misdemeanor, which may include 1 year in jail and a $1,000 fine
- More than 8 ounces-1 pound: A felony charge, with up to 4 years in jail and a $5,000 fine
- More than 1-10 pounds: A felony charge, with up to 7 years in jail and a $5,000 fine
- More than 10 pounds: A felony charge, with up to 15 years in jail and a $15,000 fine
Additionally, if you are caught in possession of marijuana in public view in New York, you will face a violation and a $200 fine.
What are the penalties for the sale of marijuana in New York?
The potential consequences of the sale of marijuana in New York are as follows:
- 2 grams or less without profit or 1 marihuana cigarette: Misdemeanor, 3 months jail time, a $500 fine
- 25 grams or less: Misdemeanor, 1 year jail time, $1,000 fine
- More than 25 grams-4 ounces: Felony, 4 years jail time, $5,000 fine
- More than 4 ounces-1 pound: Felony, 7 years jail time, $5,000 fine
- More than 1 pound: Felony, 15 years jail time, $15,000 fine
- Using a child to assist in the sale of marijuana: Felony, 4 years jail time, $5,000 fine
- Selling marijuana to a minor: Felony, 7 years jail time, $5,000 fine
If you are caught trafficking any amount of marijuana, you are facing a felony charge and between 15-25 years of incarceration, as well as a $100,000 fine. Additionally, if you are caught cultivating any amount of marijuana, you are facing a misdemeanor charge and up to 1 year in prison, as well as a $1,000 fine.
Contact our experienced New York firm
Criminal matters can change the course of your life forever. This is why you need an experienced attorney who will aggressively combat your charges to help mitigate their long-term effects. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for a criminal defense matter on Long Island or throughout New York State, please contact Grunwald & Seman, P.C. to schedule a consultation. We would be happy to assist you.