Can I Have My Record Expunged in New York?



    criminal record

    Having a criminal record can impact your future for years to come. Criminal records can often prevent individuals from getting or keeping certain jobs, living in certain areas, and much more. However, there are steps that can be taken to protect a person from this future. Continue reading to learn if you can have your record expunged in New York. If you require assistance with your criminal record, do not hesitate to contact our dedicated and experienced Nassau County criminal defense attorney.

    Can I have my record expunged in New York?

    Some states may allow criminal records to be expunged. However, New York does not expunge criminal records. In some cases, a person with a record may be able to seal their record. Sealing a record means that the record cannot be viewed by the public, but it can still be viewed by certain law enforcement agencies.

    How can I seal my record?

    The first step you should take if you want to seal your record is to retain the services of an experienced Nassau County criminal defense attorney who will file a motion with the court. Next, you and your attorney will complete the form that petitions the seal of your record. If the petition is approved, the county clerk where you were charged can give notice that the record was sealed.

    This is easier said than done. In some cases, the court will challenge these petitions. This is why it is important to have a dedicated attorney in your corner. You and your attorney must present evidence to the court to prove your case. 

    What crimes can be sealed in New York?

    The following crimes can be sealed in New York:

    • Charges with no conviction
    • Non-criminal violations
    • Certain juveline crimes 
    • Certain misdemeanors or felonies if offender entered court-mandated alcohol or drug treatment program, has no additional pending charges, and has satisfied any sentence or request mandated after they completed treatment
    • Possession of less than ⅞ of an ounce of marijuana three years after the conviction 

    If you require assistance with sealing your record or if you have any additional questions about the process ahead, do not hesitate to contact our Nassau County criminal defense attorney. Our legal team is prepared to advocate for you each step of the way. Our firm understands the impact that a criminal record may have on your livelihood and reputation. Give our firm a call today to learn more about our services and how we can assist you with your criminal record.

    Contact our Firm

    Criminal matters can change the course of your life forever. This is why you need an experienced attorney who will aggressively combat your charges to help mitigate their long-term effects. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for a criminal defense matter on Long Island or throughout New York State, please contact Grunwald & Seman, P.C. to schedule a consultation. We would be happy to assist you.

    Free Consultation - 24/7 Service

    Recent Blogs & Articles