What happens if I get a DUI in another state?



    drunk driving

    All states in the U.S., including New York, enforce strict laws against drunk driving, as alcohol consumption can substantially impair one’s cognitive abilities needed to operate a vehicle safely. If you get behind the wheel with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% or greater, you will be charged with driving while under the influence (DUI). In such cases, you will face harsh penalties, such as hefty fines, license suspension, installation of an ignition interlock device, and possible jail time. If you get charged with a DUI in a state other than New York, you will have to face the charges and consequences under the state’s specific alcohol-related driving laws and criminal procedures. Each state has its own set of laws regarding drunk driving, which may differ from those in New York. Therefore, you will be subject to New York’s criminal procedures if you are from another state and are charged with DUI. It’s imperative to note that you could face additional penalties in the state where your driver’s license is registered. If you’ve been charged with DUI, please don’t hesitate to contact an experienced Nassau County DUI Lawyer who can help fight to shield you from your charges. 

    Can I face penalties in New York for a DUI in another state?

    If you’re a New York resident convicted of DUI in another state, you will be subject to the penalties set forth for such an offense in the state in which you’ve been arrested. In addition, you may also be subject to action against your New York driver’s license. For an out-of-state DUI conviction, the New York Department of Motor Vehicles can revoke your license for at least 90 days. If you are arrested for DUI in another state, the state will typically report the offense back to your home state as they have their own set of laws for serious traffic offenses.

    This is because of the Interstate Driver’s License Compact (IDLC), an agreement among 45 states to share information regarding driving-related arrests and convictions. These states have agreed to treat a DUI in a member state as if it had occurred in the driver’s home state. If you are an out-of-state resident, meaning you hold a driver’s license in a state other than New York, the charges will be prosecuted under the laws of New York. Therefore, you should consult a seasoned lawyer from New York who is familiar with the state’s criminal procedures for alcohol-related driving offenses.

    If you’ve been arrested for an out-of-state DUI in New York, contact the skilled legal team at Grunwald & Seman, as we can help fight to protect your future. We are prepared to guide you through these tough times and maximize your chances of walking away with the best possible outcome.


    Free Consultation - 24/7 Service

    Recent Blogs & Articles