You may face serious consequences if you are caught driving while drunk under the legal drinking age. Because New York is a zero-tolerance state, if you have a blood alcohol content of .02% or higher, you may be charged with a DWI. It is essential that you reach out to an experienced criminal defense attorney if you are facing underage DWI charges. Give our firm a call today to discuss our services and learn how we can fight to lessen your penalties and charges. Our firm understands that being charged with an underage DWI can severely impact the rest of your life in a negative way. We are prepared to fight for your rights in court.
Consequences of Underage DWIs in New York
Underage drunk driving is not taken lightly in the state of New York. You may face harsh penalties when charged with an underage DWI. You may face the following penalties if you have a blood alcohol content of .02% or higher while operating a vehicle:
- Suspended license for 6 months
- $125 civil penalty
- $100 fee for suspension termination
- Ignition interlock device installation and associated installment fees
- Enrollment in the New York Drinking Driver Program and associated fees
If you refuse to submit to a chemical test while underage, you may face the following increased penalties:
- $250 annual assessment fine for 3 years
- $100 fee to reinstate your license
- Revoked license for at least one year
- $300 civil penalty
Subsequent DWI charges will result in more severe penalties.
Defenses Against Underage DWI Charges
When facing underage DWI charges, it is important to contact a knowledgeable and skilled criminal defense attorney who will work to disprove your charges. Your attorney will assess the circumstances of your arrest. They will analyze your arrest and discover if law enforcement made any mistakes during your arrest or if there were any other factors that may make evidence against you inadmissible.
The defenses used against DWI charges including the following:
- Unlawful stopping by law enforcement
- Improper administering of a Field Sobriety Test
- You have a health issue that prevents you from being able to properly take a breath test
- The officer failed to demonstrate the test
- The officer failed to explain all the instructions
- The officer failed to inform you that you were allowed to remove high heels during the test
Contact our Firm
Criminal matters can change the course of your life forever. This is why you need an experienced attorney who will aggressively combat your charges to help mitigate their long-term effects. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for a criminal defense matter on Long Island or throughout New York State, please contact Grunwald & Seman, P.C. to schedule a consultation. We would be happy to assist you.