What Steps Should I Take After Being Falsely Accused of a Crime?



    If you are facing criminal charges, you may be subject to overwhelming fines, jail time, and even a permanent criminal record. A criminal conviction may ruin your life, impacting everything from housing opportunities to potential employment. What’s worse is if this conviction is unnecessarily due to being falsely accused of a crime. If this is your case, read on to discover how one of the committed Nassau County criminal defense attorneys at Grunwald & Seman can fight for your future.

    What should I do if I am falsely accused of a crime?

    It is important to not assume that the police, judge, or jury will believe you when you plead not guilty to the crime you are accused of. Instead, you should take this accusation seriously from the start and hire one of the dedicated Garden City criminal defense lawyers. By doing so, you will better understand your legal rights and the legal process ahead of you. Your attorney will assess your case and build the best strategy possible.

    In the event that you have not yet been charged with the crime, your attorney may want to take a proactive measure and intervene. With this, they may discuss your defense with the police or prosecutor and provide information that convinces them of your innocence. Or, your attorney may want to do the opposite and take no action at all. This will likely occur if your attorney is convinced that the prosecutor will not be able to develop the necessary evidence to charge you with the crime. For example, a witness may recant their testimony or test results may support your innocence and thus stump the prosecutor.

    And in the event that you are formally charged with a crime, your attorney may want to conduct a thorough investigation of the crime to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the prosecutor’s case and your defense. For example, your attorney may assess the prosecutor’s evidence, interview witnesses, and retain expert witnesses if necessary. Or, your attorney may want you to enter into a plea agreement with the prosecutor. This is so you can receive a lesser charge instead of risking a conviction, harsher sentence, or permanent criminal record.

    What other steps should I take immediately after being falsely accused of a crime?

    While your attorney is building a strategy, you should gather any and all evidence necessary to prove your innocence. Such proof may include clothing, photographs, correspondence, receipts, GPS data, etc. Also in the meantime, you should be collecting witness contact information. Such witnesses should be able to provide helpful information about you, the incident, and the accusations against you through witness testimony.

    Contact Our Long Island Firm

    If you need experienced legal counsel for a criminal matter on Long Island or anywhere inNew York State, please contact Grunwald & Seman, P.C. to schedule a consultation.

    Free Consultation - 24/7 Service

    Recent Blogs & Articles