Earlier this year, New York State announced a States for Gun Safety coalition to combat gun violence in combination with governors from New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Delaware, and Puerto Rico. Now, the coalition has announced its first research consortium to pool their research on gun violence, policies, gun trafficking across states, and more.
New York State already has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. However, it seems as though they will become even more strict as the results of the data collection rolls in. Currently, in New York State, it is very difficult for to obtain a handgun. In order to be eligible for a gun permit in New York, one must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant is 21 years of age (they can be younger if they were honorably discharged from the military)
- The applicant has good moral character
- The applicant has never been convicted of a felony or another serious offense
- The applicant is clear about any mental illness
- The applicant has never had a license revoked
- There is a good reason for the issuance
- The applicant is not addicted to controlled substances, is not a fugitive, has never been involuntarily committed to a mental institution
- The individual is a lawful resident of the United States
If you have questions about obtaining a gun permit or gun possession in New York State, contact us today.
If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for a criminal defense matter on Long Island or throughout New York State, please contact Grunwald & Seman, P.C. to schedule a consultation and we would be happy to assist you.