If you are underage and are caught driving while intoxicated, you will face severe consequences. New York state does not take underage DWI charges lightly. You can expect to face penalties that may impact your future for years to come. To learn more about what to expect after being charged with an underage DWI, continue reading and reach out to our experienced criminal defense attorney. For assistance with your upcoming legal process, do not hesitate to contact our criminal defense firm. Our legal team will explore all avenues of defense on your behalf. To learn more about our services, schedule your initial consultation with our team today.
What are the consequences of underage DWIs in New York?
If you have been charged with an underage DWI in New York, you can face the following penalties if you are pulled over with a blood alcohol content of .02% or higher:
- Suspended license for 6 months
- $125 civil penalty
- $100 fee for suspension termination
- Ignition interlock device installation and associated installment fees
- Enrollment in the New York Drinking Driver Program and associated fees
If you are underage and you refuse to submit to a chemical test, you may face the following increased penalties:
- $250 annual assessment fine for 3 years
- $100 fee to reinstate your license
- Revoked license for at least one year
- $300 civil penalty
- Subsequent DWI charges will result in more severe penalties.
What defenses are used against underage DWI charges?
When facing underage DWI charges, it is important to contact a knowledgeable and skilled criminal defense attorney who will work to disprove your charges. Your attorney will assess the circumstances of your arrest to discover if law enforcement made any mistakes or if there were any other factors that may make evidence against you inadmissible.
The defenses used against DWI charges include the following:
- Unlawful stopping by law enforcement
- Improper administering of a Field Sobriety Test
- The officer failed to demonstrate the test
- The officer failed to explain all the instructions
- You have a health issue that prevents you from being able to properly take a breath test
- The officer failed to inform you that you were allowed to remove high heels during the test
If you are facing underage DWI charges, do not hesitate to contact Grunwald & Seman, P.C. today to learn how we can help.
Contact our Firm
Criminal matters can change the course of your life forever. This is why you need an experienced attorney who will aggressively combat your charges to help mitigate their long-term effects. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for a criminal defense matter on Long Island or throughout New York State, please contact Grunwald & Seman, P.C. to schedule a consultation. We would be happy to assist you.