What is Considered Endangering the Welfare of a Child in New York?



    When a person is charged with child endangerment, it is taken very seriously in the state of New York. This can result in consequences that can carry a person for the rest of their life. However, there are some cases in which these charges are unfounded or untrue. It is because of this that those facing these situations should retain the services of an experienced New York criminal defense attorney for assistance protecting their reputation and future.

    What are Types of Child Endangerment?

    Similar to other criminal charges, there are different levels of child endangerment charges in the state of New York. This can vary depending on the severity of the act that was committed. The following are classifications of this crime:

    • Class A Misdemeanor: This is generally given to individuals who endanger the welfare of a child, unlawfully deal with a child in the first-degree, misrepresentation by a child daycare provider, or individuals convicted of non-support of a child in the first degree.
    • Class B Misdemeanor: This is generally given to those who unlawfully deal with a child in the second degree.
    • Class E Felony: This is generally given to a person who is convicted of abandoning a child or in the event of non-support in the first degree.

    What is an Escalated Child Endangerment Charge?

    There are many criminal charges in which a person is caught committing two crimes at once. In the event of an escalated child endangerment charge, this is when a person is caught committing a crime at the same time they are endangering the welfare of a child. For example, this may be if the offender was found driving under the influence while they had a minor in the car with them. When this happens, they can risk being sentenced to significant jail time. It is important to not let this happen and retain the services of a criminal defense attorney who can fight to give you a second chance. 

    Contact our Firm

    If you or someone you know what charged with a crime, contact Grunwald & Seman, P.C. to schedule a consultation and we would be happy to assist you.

    Free Consultation - 24/7 Service

    Recent Blogs & Articles