While many states have legalized the recreational use of marijauana, the drug is still illegal in that state of New York. While the state moved to decriminalize low-level possession of the drug, individuals who face marijuana-related charges can still face serious consequences as a result. Continue reading to learn more and contact an experienced New York drug criminal defense attorney if you are facing these charges.
What are the Consequences of Possession in New York?
In New York, a person who is found in possession of 28 grams or less of marijuana can face a civil penalty. This typically results in just a $50 fine, as the offense was decriminalized. Even still, there are some criminal penalties for marijuana possession, including:
- Up to 8 ounces: Misdemeanor, up to 1 year of incarceration, potential $1,000 fine.
- Up to 1 pound: Felony, up to 4 years of incarceration jail, potential $5,000 fine.
- Up to 10 pounds: Felony, up to 7 years of incarceration, potential $5,000 fine.
- More than 10 pounds: Felony, up to 15 years of incarceration, potential $15,000 fine.
What are the Consequences of Selling Marijuana in New York?
Not only is possession of marijauana illegal, but the distribution and selling of the drug is a serious crime. These charges can result in a range of consequences, including the followingn:
- 25 grams of less: Misdemeanor, 1 year of jail time, potential $1,000 fine.
- Up to 4 ounces: Felony, up to 4 years in jail, potential %4,000 fine.
- Up to 1 pound: Felony, up to 7 years in jail, potential $5,000 fine.
- More than 1 pound: Felony, up to 15 years in jail, potential $15,000 fine.
- To a minor: Felony, up to 7 years of jail time, potential $5,000 fine.
Contact our Firm
Criminal matters can change the course of your life forever. This is why you need an experienced attorney who will aggressively combat your charges to help mitigate their long-term effects. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for a criminal defense matter on Long Island or throughout New York State, please contact Grunwald & Seman, P.C. to schedule a consultation. We would be happy to assist you.