Around the country, various states are changing their stances on marijuana. Weed is becoming generally more accepted. But, it is still important to be aware of the legal repercussions. While low-level marijuana charges have been decriminalized in the state of New York, it is still possible to spend time in jail for marijuana-related convictions. As a result, it is important to know about the consequences of possessing and selling marijuana in New York.
What Are the Penalties for Marijuana Possession in New York?
Despite the recent shift in marijuana laws in New York State, it is still illegal to possess or sell the drug illegally. If you are caught in the possession of marijuana in the state of New York, you may face the following penalties:
- 28 grams or less: This is a violation, which comes with a $50 fine
- Between 28 grams and 2 ounces: This is also a violation, and it comes with a $200 fine
- More than 2-8 ounces: Misdemeanor, up to 1 year in jail, a $1,000 fine
- More than 8 ounces-1 pound: Felony charge, up to 4 years in jail, a $5,000 fine
- More than 1-10 pounds: Felony charge, up to 7 years in jail, a $5,000 fine
- More than 10 pounds: Felony charge, up to 15 years in jail, a $15,000 fine
What Are the Charges for Selling Marijuana?
If you are caught illegally selling or distributing marijuana, you are subject to additional criminal penalties. They are as follows:
- 2 grams or less without profit or 1 marijuana cigarette: Misdemeanor, up to 3 months in jail, a $500 fine
- 25 grams or less: Misdemeanor, up to 1 year in jail, a $1,000 fine
- More than 25 grams-4 ounces: Felony, up to 4 years in jail, a $5,000 fine
- More than 4 ounces-1 pound: Felony, up to 7 years in jail, a $5,000 fine
- More than 1 pound: Felony, up to 15 years in jail, a $15,000 fine
- Using a child to assist in the sale of marijuana: Felony, up to 4 years in jail, a $5,000 fine
- Selling marijuana to a minor: Felony, up to 7 years in jail, a $5,000 fine
If you are charged with the possession or sale of marijuana, you will need a strong legal team on your side. Contact our firm to speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney today. We are here to advocate for you and explore all possible legal avenues of defense.
Contact our Firm
Criminal matters can change the course of your life forever. This is why you need an experienced attorney who will aggressively combat your charges to help mitigate their long-term effects. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for a criminal defense matter on Long Island or throughout New York State, please contact Grunwald & Seman, P.C. to schedule a consultation. We would be happy to assist you.