The Empire State has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. You can expect severe penalties if you sustain a conviction. And New York gun crimes will only get harsher with time. If you face gun crime charges, please read on, then contact one of our skilled Garden City, NY gun crime lawyers to learn what you should know about illegal gun possession in New York.
How are gun possession crimes categorized in New York?
You face a wide variety of consequences depending on the severity of your firearms offense. Based on the circumstances of your case, you could face either misdemeanor or felony charges. More often than not, convictions lead to terms of incarceration and a permanent criminal record. Categorizations are as follows:
Class B Misdemeanor (up to 3 months in jail):
- Unlawful possession of certain ammunition feeding devices
Class A Misdemeanor(up to 1 year in jail):
- Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree
- Criminal purchase or disposal of a weapon
- Certain wounds to be reported
- Burn injury and wounds to be reported
- Unsafe storage of rifles, shotguns, and firearms
- Unlawful possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device
Class E Felony (up to 4 years in prison):
- Criminal possession of a weapon on school grounds
- Criminal possession of a firearm
Class D Felony (2 to 7 years in prison):
- Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree
- Criminal sale of a firearm in the third degree
Class C Felony (3.5 to 15 years in prison):
- Criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree
- Criminal use of a firearm in the second degree
- Criminal sale of a firearm in the second degree
- Criminal sale of a firearm with the aid of a minor
- Criminal sale of a firearm to a minor
- Aggravated criminal possession of a weapon
Class B Felony (up to 25 years in prison):
- Criminal possession of a dangerous weapon in the first degree
- Criminal use of a firearm in the first degree
- Criminal sale of a firearm in the first degree
If you are accused of possessing a firearm during the commission of another criminal offense, you need to reach out to one of our skilled Nassau County criminal defense attorneys.
How can you defend against illegal gun possession charges in New York?
Regardless of the circumstances of your case, the prosecutor still has to overcome the burden of proof. He or she will need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were in knowing and illegal possession of a firearm and/or intended to make use of it. Proving actual possession is harder than one might suppose. Do not go it alone. Please give us a call today.
Contact Our Long Island Firm
Criminal matters can change the course of your life forever. This is why you need an experienced attorney who will aggressively combat your charges to help mitigate their long-term effects. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for a criminal defense matter on Long Island or throughout New York State, please contact Grunwald & Seman, P.C. to schedule a consultation. We would be happy to assist you.